Sunday, June 23, 2013

Compliment Gone Bad

It's no secret Drew and I spend time apart, but we never go a day without talking on the phone. And, occasionally there are text messages in between. Texts are easy ways we let each other know we are thinking of the other. At some point in our relationship (I don't know when it started) Drew randomly sent me a text that said, "you look pretty today". Of course, he had no idea what I looked like, but it was a sweet thought and it has continued to randomly pop up on my phone screen over the last few years. We usually have fun with it and it turns into a big joke between us. After working out and teaching on Friday I grabbed my things to leave and found "You look nice today!" on my phone. At the time I was a hot mess - literally - from sweating all morning, but it definitely made me smile. I found out later that another Soldier, one of Drew's friends, heard what Drew wrote and decided to send one to his wife.... Unfortunately, she did not smile when she read it. Their conversation wasn't as humorous/playful.
Soldier: You look nice today!
Wife: Who was that for?
Solider: You
Wife: WTF. Why the h*ll would you write that?
The Soldier then had to CALL his wife and smooth everything out, explaining that he got the idea from Drew and it wasn't meant for anyone else - just her. Drew and I, of course, got a huge kick out of it. The poor guy was just trying to send a compliment to his wife, letting her know he was thinking of her, and she was not buying it. Needless to say he will never do that again. He even commented while I was talking to Drew that he will never make that mistake again. I suppose it just goes to show that every couple is different.

Sadly, I think that is the highlight from my weekend. I did spend some time with our neighbors on Saturday and a new family moved into the home behind us. I've heard through the grape vine that the family has a 10 and 14 year old. Honestly, I didn't know the former family too well. They did have a Great Dane, Fenway, who would get all wound up when Lexi came outside. They would stare and growl at each other from their sides of the fence. Fenway is a lot older and larger than Lexi. He even knocked part of the fence down a couple of times from jumping up on to it so much.

The weekend wrapped up with a dinner to celebrate Matt's birthday. Kevin couldn't make it, but it was still nice having the four of us together. I have a feeling down the road it's going to get even harder trying to get everyone together. Matt just moved into his own house, Kevin has his own place and I/we have our own. I hope we continue to find time to get together every now and then and not use an excuse that someone is too far, out of the way, etc. Family is too important not to make time for one another.

I'm hoping this week will be a productive one. I have not been able to get as much done over the last few days as I would have like.

No comments: